Beta, thy name is Google.
FIX: Google Voice using Notification sound instead of Ringtone on Android
If you use Google Voice on your Android device, and
incoming calls are not using your desired ringtone, then
here's how to fix the problem:
- Open phone Settings.
- Select Apps & notifications.
- Select Voice (in All apps if not visible).
- Select Notifications.
- Under OTHER, select Incoming call.
- Expand Advanced. (On Android 11. Skip this step on Android 12.)
- Select Sound
- Select desired ringtone sound (which should then play) and close Settings.
- Sound will still show "Default notification sound" (a bug), but correct Ringtone should now play.
- Verified with Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble) running Android 11. May not apply to other versions.
- Android 12: There is no Advanced option. Skip Step 6.